Thursday, November 3, 2011

Witches

I am a tool of the dog house makers. This phrase from the Simpsons has served us well over the years. It means being susceptible (or buying in) to advertising. Like when you see a commercial for the new burger at McDonald's and you have to go get it immediately. So when I saw they had made a TV show about my favorite books from tweenhood I had to DVR it. It was the Secret Circle trilogy by L.J. Smith and I was a geek for them. All my friends read them and we even started up our own "coven", worked with crystals and had matching necklaces (mine was red) for what elements we identified with. We were lame. But still super excited to watch the show. I put on the pilot and was very confused. Stuff was happening that I didn't remember from the books. So I put it on pause and reread the series. It took me three days, probably only 9 hours or so, they're pretty short books. They were definitely more juvenile than I remembered (Sasha says it's me that has matured, same diff) and a little disappointing. I wanted more from them a depth of character and plot that was lacking. I want to follow the coven as they grow and mature. I kind of want to write a follow up book. For my own entertainment of course. But could I do justice to the story? I know books must have conflict. No one (but me) wants to read a book where everything is sunshine and roses, there must be some conflict to give depth. But still good premise on the books.
The show, however, fucked it all up. It's supposed to be based in Massachusetts, near Salem, which has just a bit of history with witchcraft. On the show it's based in Washington...maybe they thought Salem, OR was close enough? They also messed with the characters, and the plot and the everything! I almost gave up after the first episode. But I didn't, I've seen 3 episodes now and it's alright. As long as I don't compare it to the books, it's a fine show.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've read anything that the movie has made better. Different, certainly, and sometimes good in their own right, but there are too many details in books for filmmakers to actually pick them all up.

    It might be fun to write a follow up. :)

    ReplyDelete